Happy, healthy summer is here! That means lots of sunshine, school holidays, beach vibes and braai (lots of it!). I have some tips on how to enjoy your summer to the fullest and stay healthy, too.
Healthy summer tips
Be active and exercise the “cool” way
In every season, physical activity on a regular basis is important to everyone and part of any healthy lifestyle. The warm sunshine and pleasant summer weather make it easy to exercise outdoors and get the whole family involved. Remember, with hot weather the risk of overheating is a major problem, so be sure to take the precautions.
- Mornings or evenings would be the better choice to exercise as it is a bit cooler outdoors. If you are doing stationary exercises, try to stay in shady areas. If the heat is too much to exercise outside, hit the gym or climb stairs in an airconditioned building.
- Don’t be the person to wait till he/she is thirsty. Drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated is highly recommended to help your body cool down by sweating. So, drink water frequently. [link article on hydration]
- To keep you cooler and help the sweat evaporate I try to wear lose-fitting clothing that is lightweight.
- Get the whole family involved. As I said, physical activity is important to everyone. Take a morning walk or drive down to the beach and walk on the soft sand. You can make exercise fun by having a competition who can log the most steps for the day. (there is an app for that I’m sure) Friendly family competition is always fun!
Eat right and stay healthy
What makes summer so perfect, is that I can enjoy an outdoor meal with friends and family. You need to take extra care though, because the warmer temperatures can easily spoil your food.
- Number one rule before handling food; Make sure your utensils, work surfaces and hands are washed to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Don’t cook in advance if you decide to go for a picnic. Cook the food the same day so that bacteria have less time to grow.
- Wash all your fruit and vegetables as bacteria might be present on the rind or peel.
- Leftovers that have been left out for more than 2 hours, or 1 hour if the temperature is more than 32˚C should be thrown out.
Tips for safe, healthy grilling:
- Cook more chicken, fish and vegetables, and limit ground beef, pork, sausage and hot dogs.
- Defrost your food and keep marinated foods in the fridge. Never re-use marinade that touched raw meat or poultry.
- To prevent cross-contamination, never put cooked meat or poultry in the same container before it was cooked.
- Meat that cooks at high temperatures can create chemicals which can be harmful. What chemicals am I referring to you might ask? The chemicals released by charred bits on your grill, believe it or not. It might add some flavor but can be harmful. (I am surprised as you are!)
Stay safe in the sun
We are all aware of the dangers that the sun’s UV rays can do to our skin. Not to mention that most skin cancers are caused by over exposure to the sun’s UV rays. It’s important to keep your skin protected when going outside, especially during long and hot summer days.
When going outside, as I mentioned earlier, wear clothing that is lose-fitting but can also protect as much skin as possible. Don’t forget the wide-brimmed hat! Use sunglasses that block at least 99% of UV light.
I would say sun protection factor (SPF) 30 sunscreen should be more than enough, unless you have fair skin. And for that reason I’d rather go for SPF 50+. Make sure to use sunscreen regularly, at least every 2 hours, and after swimming.
Try to limit your direct exposure to the sun, especially between 11AM and 3PM when the sun’s UV rays are strongest.
Avoid tanning beds:
Tanning beds can make your skin look great, but the downside is that it can cause long-term skin damage. Let’s not forget it can contribute to skin cancer.
With Ozone Steam Therapy, we can help our bodies get rid of toxins through sweat. Believe it or not, sweating is one of the most effective ways to detox! Think fever; When you are sick your body automatically starts sweating. This is to get rid of toxins that your internal detox system can’t handle. It’s the same with Ozone Therapy.
By simulating a short painless fever, your body gets rid of toxins through sweat, giving you a natural detox boost.
To book your detox session, contact Organies Genoeg today.