Ever wondered what summer tastes like? As South Africans we know all too well: Summer taste like 3 bean salad and braai. Not just because we get to be with the people we love and have a great time, but it’s a tradition. The variety of foods that can be brought to a braai are endless and, I’m sure as you are reading, you agree.
Here is a classic South African dish, the 3 Bean Salad, that I love to make when I braai. It’s easy and quick to whip up and accompanies any meat, chops and boerie rolls. Of course, if you prefer to substitute the beans or mix them up, it’s really your preference. Go crazy!
What ingredients do I need?
For the salad:
- 200g Fine Green Beans
- 200g Tinned Butter Beans (Rinsed)
- 200g Tinned Kidney Beans (Rinsed)
- 1 Red Onion, chopped thinly
For the dressing:
- Juice and Zest of ½ Lemon
- Juice and Zest of ½ Orange
- 60ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Chilly (seeds removed or not if you prefer a bit of a bite), Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Chopped Mint, Basil and Parsley
Now, to make The Dressing, blend all the ingredients together and put aside for the moment. (Easy as that)
For The Salad;
- Boil the green beans until tender. (±3 Min.)
- Drain, rinse in cold water and then drain again
- Mix the green beans, butter beans and kidney beans together in a serving bowl.
- Add the chopped onion and then generously drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to season and serve.
And there you have it. A refreshing summer salad that is quick and easy to make that goes well with any braai. Hope you find it as delicious as I have.